Monday, April 25, 2016

Bang Wallup


I give in. Delosperma sp. 'Firespinner' is sexy.

Bindweed!  But, the special, hard-to-grow turkish miniature kind. 
Convolvulus boissieri ssp. compactus

Penstemon caespitosus ex Rio Blanco, CO and Lepidium nanum

Har har. I've finally succeeded in blooming the elusive desert adobe salt-pan poisonous-soil loving Xylorhiza venusta,  or, Cisco Woodyaster.  Ok, so it looks like an English daisy and it germinated on its own when I gave up from three years of trying and threw the seed out over the garden, but hey- it's native to the desert here and it's in my garden. So there.
Penstemon acaulis  will not grow for me outside of a crevice. Mama plant still died last year, but she left two kids in her stead, one seen here.



First year Iris iberica ssp. lycotis.

Iris lineolata, a turkestani gift from the Iris-mad John Baumfalk, who is an Iris wizard. A wizard.  

Neohenricia sibbettii is an ice plant relative. I've killed dozens (literally) to find places where they will persist.  First time I've ever seen its flower; a couple years ago one bloomed but the flowers were not open at the specific time of day I saw it. Mesembs are like that.  Close inspection of their roots will show they wear their own little wristwatches and follow them religiously.  By the way, this whole plant is two inches wide. 

This Astragalus spatulatus
like my other plant, are in tight crevices.  All the rest I have ever had, not in crevices, died years ago.  Why?  I'm not sure. But it's real.

Mounting evidence for crevice gardens.

Life is full of pleasures which can be a little dangerous. 
Biking, Cacti, and dizzyingly charismatic bulbs.  Iris paradoxa



Tulipa linifolia
At the end of the day, we can get all horny over difficult, exotic, elusive and rare plants, but nothing catches the setting sun like a simple Tulip.  


No comments: