Thursday, December 13, 2012

Underappreciation Files #2: Fringed Gromwell!

Fringed Gromwell- That is my favourite of several funny names, including "Puccoon" for this stunning little darling.

It is new to me this year- last winter my mountain-biking-wildflower-shooting bike-rafting buddies (who convinced me to blog, or rather, cooerced me) told me about a big-flowered, yellow, fragrant borage they saw in the desert.  I didn't believe them.


Lithospermum incisum

Hallelujah- I am a believer in this one; and now as a new convert, I am incensed to have yet to see it in a garden.  (I know it has been done) On my side of the mountains, it is few-and-far-between (but growing everywhere). It blooms  in Mid-April.  Rain increases both the size of the plant and the longevity of bloom, which, as a borage, can continuously bloom for a nice spell.
The flowers are not small- almost 2cm wide if I recall accurately, and they are fragrant in that fresh, fruity way.  In this summer of drought, the plants simply retired to a dried-up crisp so as to spring forth next ...spring.


Look at those elegant-sexy flower tubes!  Sumptuous! The seeds are white shiny things that look like parrot's heads; and in this way they are available to gardeners.  Again, what are we waiting for?  This one doesn't have a waiting period for "acquired tastes" like some of the oddballs I enjoy.  It's pretty right now.

2 comments:

Panayoti Kelaidis said...

Particularly nice pix of a particularly nice form of this little monster: it can be rangy and is frustrating in cultivation. I'm surprised you haven't stumbled on it more (may have overlooked it--it can be ho hum). Wait till you see the REAL puccoons (unearthly orange gold) out on the sand prairies of Eastern Colorado and Nebraska: eye blasting!

Bikeabout said...

Didn't believe us? Maybe because we're Masters of Misidentification and are usually quite sure that we've discovered a new species.

--Greg