Friday, November 22, 2013

Two for the Bugs


"Knowing the insects doubles one's gardening pleasure..."

from my friend John, for whom a love of bugs runs in the family.


A honeybee redeems a Goathead/Puncturevine (Tribulus terrestris) by visiting it.
See, there is a purpose for even the most hated of weeds.
Well, -almost redeems it. We can look at this as lemonade from lemons...



Phiddipus aff. cardinalis.






Aphids on Showy Milkweed (Asclepias speciosus)




I had read the warning in drip-system books about bugs crawling into things and didn't really think much about it. But I was reminded when these four tragic gals turned out to be the clog in the wand-end rose; these crickets entered from the other end of the tube at the spigot (which I'd taken off and drained as a freeze precaution.) Nice. I must remember to clean out all the nursery's tubes before I turn them on next spring! Lesson: find some sort of cap to put on open hose/tubes.





Leafcutter Bee activity on leaves of Amelanchier alnifolia. Rose leaves are among the more common thin-textured leaves which are used. The philosopher in me really enjoys the fact that there is no real solution to this problem (no sprays, OK?) short of covering your entire shrub/tree with a fine veil of some sort pre-emptively in spring. I've never heard of anyone troubling themselves so much- Gardening should be fun.

And it's fun to look at bugs.

2 comments:

Panayoti Kelaidis said...

LOVE that spider. Poor little crickets, though....and NOTHING redeems goathead (not even honeybees): great post!

Anonymous said...

Interesting spider, and yes, always cap ends properly!

Where I am and was, in the gravelly foothills, we have a native Caltrop that is not thorny and looks like a cross between creosote bushes and goatheads...Kallistroemia parvifolia. I remember many small bees on it.